Saturday, May 10, 2008

My first thoughts of Barbados assignment #2

I'm staying in a guest house with one other girl, Samantha aka Kandi. I have my own room and share the bathroom, kitchen and laundry room with her. I went grocery shopping yesterday and went home to cook and then remembered i only know how to make salad and cereal, so i poured the milk and cut up some lettuce. Things are going really well! I love the place, the girl i live with is a fashion designer, which is just wicked. The place is also ideal because it's literally three minutes walking distance from where i work.

Today was my first day of work and I just got out of a meeting with Mr. Grant and Shelly, my supervisor. PCW is actually the most perfect place for me, they do everything that I once did or am currently doing ie.dance, drama, youth entrepreneurship, community development, housing initiatives etc etc. I am primarily working on their housing project, the main thing that they want me to focus on is developing a education program for their clients to teach them about the different stages of building their house, the financial commitment involved, how to read a blue print and the new challenges involved in having a mortgage etc etc. I am also going to be developing a format to track the project status against baseline information, developing financial systems and developing project status and reporting forms. Sounds hard huh ya i know..i really really know lol. I also have to learn how to use SPSS, which is a data management system for project planning as well as Microsoft Project software.

Both my supervisors are amazing people and guess what everyone here has dreads! That's a huge bonus as in the Caribbean people sometimes look down on you if your hair is locked but at PCW its all love baby. The community centre has its own social enterprise, bicycles sales; They have their own costume room for all their productions; they have rehearsal space, offices a meeting room and even their own staff run community bar! I have my own office space here as well.

Tomorrow marks the first day of crop over, which is a three month long festival with a huge dance celebration during the last few days. It starts off with soca performances from upcoming artist held in each of the 12 parishes. This weekend I'll be going to some of those with Samantha, the girl i live with, and her non-boyfriend 'friend' lol. We are also going to two of the three big parties this weekend: a soca fete and a reggae club. Samantha seems really cool and responsible shes 19 and goes to the technical school down the road.

Mrs.Davis, the landlord, is "a christian first and foremost" lol. She's madd cool and helps me out with anything i need. I think shes a little funny about wearing shorts though. Last night I was asking her what she thinks i should wear for my first day of work and i laid out a white tee and jean Capri's (that go past my knees) she said the pants were too short. LOL oh man all I was thinking is wow its going to suck when you see the shorts i was questioning haha.

In any light this is a really good opportunity to see cultural differences in this new community. When i arrived at Pinelands i was plesently surprised to meet a vintage looking building instead of the typical highrise office builiding i've come to expect.

No comments: